Residence Visa - UAE INFO

Aug 24, 2008

Residence Visa

For individuals planning to live in the United Arab Emirates, you have to obtain a residence visa. A residence visa will be issued by the Immigration department of the emirate you will be staying in and provided to you by your sponsor (the company or person you are working for). If you have entered the country on a visit visa, you can transfer to a residence visa by either re-enter the country or else make the transfer at the Immigration department.

If you are coming to the UAE with family members, you should obtain a family visa, which will allow you to sponsor your parents, spouse, daughters, and sons under the age of 18. Family visas are only possible if you earn more than Dhs. 4,000 (US$ 1,100) a month.

Residence visas are normally issued for 3-years and in order for it to be processed, you will need to take a medical test and obtain a health card. Individuals who test positive for AIDS will not be permitted to obtain a residence visa. A health card costs around Dhs. 300 (US$ 82) and should be renewed yearly. It can be issued by at Ministry of Health or else at a recognized private hospital.

A penalty charge of Dhs. 25 (US$ 7) - Dhs. 100 (US$ 28) per day is imposed on visitors who overstay. If the overstay extends to a significant amount of time, then a court hearing is issued and the judge will decide what penalties will occur.

Issuing Authority
The Dubai Naturalization and Residency Department (DNRD) is the sole administrative authority of the Ministry of Interior that deals with issuing visas to foreigners visiting the country. Most visit visas issued in the UAE are issued through the Dubai International Airport and are sometime mistakenly reffered to as a Dubai visa. The most Dubai visas are issued during the various events sponsored by the Dubai government, including the Dubai Shopping Festival and Dubai Summer Surprises, as the visa requirements are minimized and obtaining a visa is alot easier.

Note: We would recommend that you also contact the UAE embassy or consulate in your country, as visa issues may have changed.


- Abu Dhabi
Saeed bin Tahnoon St.
Abu Dhabi
Tel: 02 4462244

- Al Ain
Aditaba Road, near Dubai Islamic Bank, opposite Carrefour supermarket.
Tel: 03 7625555

- Dubai
Department of Naturalization and Residency, Trade Centre Road, near Bur Dubai Police Station
Tel: 04 3980000

- Sharjah
Department for Naturalization and Residence, near General Post Office
Tel: 06 5726777

- Umm al-Qaiwain
Tel: 06 7666419

- Ajman
Tel: 06 7422255

- Ra's as-Khaimah
Tel: 07 2273333

No comments: