One-year UAE labour ban only in specific cases, says official - UAE INFO

Oct 29, 2009

One-year UAE labour ban only in specific cases, says official

Measure applies to those workers who violate the law, says Ministry of Labour.

Dubai: Two per cent of the total number of workers who cancelled their work permits last year were banned for one year from working in the country, Ministry of Labour statistics have revealed.

About 11,500 people out of the 500,000 workers who cancelled their work permits last year got a one-year ban.

Humaid Bin Deemas, Acting Director General at the Ministry of Labour, said that the one-year ban has specific regulations regarding when it should be implemented and it is not enforced automatically on workers who cancel their work permits.

"The small percentage of people who got a one-year ban compared to the total number who cancelled [their work permits] last year gives a clear indication that the ban is only enforced on people who break the labour law," said Bin Deemas.

"The ban is enforced by the ministry to regulate the labour market and is not used by employers who wish to punish their employees or escape from their duties towards them," he added.

In accordance with labour law, any person who wants to leave or change his or her job has to cancel the work permit and people violating labour regulations get a one-year ban.

The one-year ban is enforced on people who break their employment contracts before three years without any valid reason and without the consent of their employer, who remain unemployed in the country under the sponsorship with the previous employer for more than three months, have had a false absconding report registered on them or who suffer from contagious diseases.

Before enforcing the one-year ban, especially in cases of breaking a contract, the ministry investigates all the aspects of the case and summons the worker to understand their reasons for leaving the job, according to Bin Deemas.

"There is a clear mechanism for any worker who wants to appeal the one-year ban as he can submit a request to my office and the case will be referred to the legal affairs department.

"If still unsatisfied with the decision he can take the case to court," said Bin Deemas.

No comments: