Driver collects Dh82,000 fines in UAE


Dubai: A 22-year-old Emirati driver who has accumulated speeding fines of Dh75,000 in Dubai and Dh7,000 in other emirates vowed to mend his ways and regrets his failure to control his urge for speed.

The driver identified only as M.A. accumulated the fines between 2008 and 2009, according to police sources.

He was also involved in a serious accident eight months ago that left him with a fracture in his spine and injuries to the leg. His injuries were so severe that he cannot drive anymore.

Grave injuries

M.A.'s car was also facing a 510-day impoundment, but the penalty was reduced to 255, according to police sources.

"I sympathised with his situation and decided to reduce the duration of impoundment by half, especially that he sustained grave injuries from his accident. But that doesn't mean that his reckless driving wasn't wrong," said Major General Mohammad Saif Al Zafein, Director of the General Traffic Department at Dubai Police.

The driver owned a Nissan Patrol car which was worth Dh188,000, but he had its engine modified to increase its speed costing him an additional Dh200,000.

"I took a loan worth of Dh300,000 in order to install parts which will allow my car to drive at a very high speed. I regret the decision now after what happened to me, I could have invested the money in better things," said M.A, who is a government employee.

The driver also admitted that he started driving at 15, even before reaching the legal driving age.

"I used to race around with my friends in areas such as Al Warqa, I lost half of my friends due to car and motorcycle accidents. I almost lost my own life with my last accident. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident."

Share:

0 comments:

Featured Post

UAE starts issuing permanent residency 'Golden Card

The new initiative has identified the first 6,800 qualified expats from over 70 countries. The UAE has started issuing the perm...

Popular Posts